Monday, December 13, 2010

Cheddar Broccoli Soup

Colby is always raving about how delicious the cheddar broccoli soup is from Panera Bread. I had never had it but it sounded good so I thought I would attempt at making it. I am glad I did! It turned out delicous and creamy! Colby went back for a large serving of seconds which means it must have been good! Not to mention he tells me when it isnt! :)

"Panera's" Cheddar Broccoli Soup



1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 medium onion, chopped *I used a little over 1 tbs of dry minced onion instead**
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups chicken stock or bouillon * I used the boillon but added three boillon cubes to 2 cups of water*
1/2 pound fresh broccoli
1 cup carrots, julienned
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar


Directions:
Saute onion in 1 tbs of butter. Set aside. Cook 1/4 cup melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux). Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now. Pour in batches into blender and puree. Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended. Stir in the nutmeg and serve.


** I don't think that I pureed mine enough because I put all of it in the blender at the same time. So make sure you puree it enough so the broccoli isn't too chunky**

Serve with grated cheese on top!
Enjoy!
Jen

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...