Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Whole Enchilada... Soup!

Let me start out by saying that I was very nervous about this recipe. One it uses a can of pumpkin. To me Mexican food and pumpkins don't go together but I thought what the hey, let's give it a chance as it came highly recommended by a coworker.



The whole enchilada chicken soup by Hungry Girl

*also please note that this is my version of her soup. She does not use a crock pot or sour cream and adds other things in it!







Ingredients

3 cups fat-free chicken broth

1 tbs minced onion

3 cups green enchilada sauce

One 15-oz. can pure pumpkin

10 oz. frozen boneless skinless lean chicken breast

1 cup sour cream (light, again I save where I can! :)...)

1 cup frozen white (or yellow) corn

Optional: dash hot sauce, or more to tasteOptional toppings: shredded fat-free cheddar cheese, crushed baked tortilla chips



Directions:

Throw all the ingredients in a crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours. Once soup is done take two forks and shred the chicken inside the crockpot.

Makes 9 servings!


I served over rice but my husband liked it better without the rice and served like soup.. go figure!

This was good. It wasnt the best soup I have ever had. I think that it was missing something but I couldnt figure out exactly what it was. I think next time I will throw in a can of cream of chicken soup as well as some more enchilada sauce.. I don't think I added enough!



Those are my suggestions! Let me know if you try them and what you think! Or just what you think about the soup in general! It is a very healthy meal and would be even healthier if I didnt throw in the sour cream but I can't help myself! haha...



Enjoy!

Jen

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...